The Westfield Riding Club will host two 4-H and Open Horse Shows in 2018. Both shows are approved by the Open Horse Show Association, the American Paint Horse Association, and the Pinto Horse Association of America.
Spring Show: Sunday, June 10, 2018
Main Ring Judge : Beth Tolhurst
Halter/Trail Judge: Ed Golembeski
Fall Show: Sunday, September 9, 2018
Main Ring Judge: Lindsy Danforth
Halter/Trail Judge: Joy Collins
Sponsors are the life blood of the Westfield Riding Club’s Horse shows and other activities. Your sponsorship will help cover the cost of awards & prizes, judges, trail ride fees, clinicians, and other expenses related to our activities. We could not do it without you! Sponsorship forms will be available soon.
The divisions that will be offered at WRC Horse Shows in 2016 will be:
- Junior Horse
Open to any equine 4 years old and under. (NOTE: Junior Horses are also eligible for in hand classes and they are welcome to be shown in other classes as training warrants.)
- 4-H Walk/Trot
Open to all youth currently enrolled in a 4-H program who do not canter or lope for any reason at this show. Rider must present proof of membership. 4-H classes are governed by the New England 4-H Rulebook.
- 4-H Walk/Trot/Canter
Open to all youth currently enrolled in a 4-H program. Rider must present proof of membership. 4-H classes are governed by the New England 4-H Rulebook.
- Rider Beginning Canter
Open to all riders, all ages, who are in their first or second year of showing at the canter/lope.
- 11 & Under Walk/Trot
Open to riders 11 years old & under who do not canter or lope for any reason at this show.
- Saddle Seat
Open to all saddle seat riders and horses.
- Open Hunter
Open to all hunt-seat riders of any age.
- 12-18 Walk/Trot
Open to riders 12 to 18 years who do not canter or lope for any reason at this show.
- Adult Walk/Trot
Open to all riders over 18 years old who do not canter or lope for any reason at this show.
Open to all riders whose horses are 14.3 hands and under.
- Registered Breed
Open to any breed shown at the walk, trot/jog, canter/lope and back. Current registration papers must be presented.
- Green Horse
Open to horses in their first or second year of showing at WRC under saddle, any age. The AM Pleasure class (36) is Walk/Trot. The PM Pleasure class (50) is Walk/Trot/ Canter. Gaits for the Command Class are at the judge’s discretion. The judge may call for canter to break a tie. For the Day-End Championship, Showmanship placing will break a tie.
- Open Western
Open to Western riders of any age. Riders will be required to walk, jog, lope and back.
Open to riders under the age of 8 years old and any special needs person (any age), all seats. Handlers must be 13 years old or older.
- Open Horse In Hand
Open to all horses, all breeds.
- Open Driving
Open to all drivers of a single-horse hitch. (NOTE: Drivers age 13 & under as of 1/1/18 must be accompanied by a knowledgeable adult horseman capable of rendering assistance at all times. The only exception is for single very small equines (VSE). Wire-wheeled and pneumatic-tired vehicles may be permitted. Driving classes will be governed by the ADS Rulebook.
Each division consists of three to five classes. Most divisions include Halter, Showmanship, Equitation, Pleasure, and Command classes. To be eligible for the the Championship/Reserve Championship, exhibitors must compete in all classes within a division. However, you are not required to do so and may select only some of the classes within a division. Please check the show rules for division eligibility.
Some riders and horses are eligible to compete in more than one division (see the show rules for details).
Several non-division classes are also offered. They include specialty classes, challenges classes and a fundraising class. See below for details.
Ultimate Jackpot In Hand ($15) This class is open to all ages, any discipline. It is judged 60% showmanship, 40% halter. It will have a 85% cash payout, with 50% to first place, 25% to second place, 10% to third place. Minimum of 4 entries to run this class.
Open Jackpot In Hand Simon Says ($15) Open to all ages, all breeds, all disciplines. Not part of the In Hand division. A FUN CLASS with the chance to win some cash! It will have an 85% cash payout, with 50% to first place, 25% to second place, 10% to third place. Minimum of 4 entries to run this class.
Dressage Suitability ($10) Open to all seats and breeds, this class tests the horse’s ability to perform in the dressage arena at Walk/Trot/Canter on the rail. The judge may call for lengthening of stride and other movements found at training level.
WRC Equitation Classic (WTC) ($15) Open to all riders, all disciplines competing at the Walk/Trot/Canter. The judge may call for no stirrups, sitting trot, and/or a short pattern if necessary to test riders. The Westfield Riding Club Equitation Perpetual Trophy will be awarded.
Open Walk/Trot Equitation Championship ($15)
Open to all riders of all ages, all disciplines who do not canter or lope for any reason at this show. Riders will be evaluated at the walk, trot/jog, and back with additional testing at the judges discretion. Championship and Reserve Champion to be awarded. Entries in Green Horse cannot cross enter this division.
Open Walk/Trot Pleasure Championship ($15)
Open to all riders of all ages, all disciplines who do not canter or lope for any reason at this show. Riders will be evaluated at the walk, trot/jog, and back. Championship and Reserve Champion to be awarded. Entries in Green Horse cannot cross enter this division.
Charity Pleasure Classic Walk/Trot ($15) Open to all riders, all disciplines exhibiting at the walk, trot/jog, and back. All proceeds from this class will go to a charity chosen at showtime, based on current events. This class will not count for Year End Points, because it is WT only.
Open Walk/Trot Disciplined Rail ($10)
Open to all riders of all ages, all disciplines who do not canter or lope for any reason at this show. Unlike Command, this is not an elimination class. Riders will be judged on the ability to perform a series of commands accurately, promptly and smoothly. Entries in Green Horse cannot cross enter this division.
Groom’s Class (free)
This class is open to any groom assisting any competitor in today’s show. Show attire is not required for this class. Riders in this class may not compete in any other class.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Unless otherwise stated in this document or the show program, this show will follow the USEF Rulebook.4H classes will follow the New England 4H Rule Book.
- Entry Forms must be postmarked or submitted electronically by
Tuesday before the show to avoid paying late fees. Entries received after that date will be subject to a $15 post-entry fee.
- All riders must complete and submit an Entry Form before entering the show ring for any class.
- The show starts at 8:30 am. Entry Forms must be turned in at the Secretary’s Booth by 8:00 am to ensure entry into desired classes.
- After the show begins, the fee for all scratched classes will be HALF of the class fee, except in the case of injury to horse or rider.
- Show fees must be paid at the Secretary’s Booth on the day of the show. Classes may be paid by check or in cash. Checks are preferred. Please provide a separate check/payment for each horse/rider pair.
- 4-H participants must present their membership card at the Secretary’s booth. Registered 4-H members may pay per class or may pay the 4-H Day Fee of $50. The day fee does not cover Jackpot, Challenge or Open WT Championship classes. Once a payment choice is made for the show, it cannot be changed. The 4-H Day Fee is NON REFUNDABLE.
- Massachusetts State Law requires a Negative Coggins dated within the past 12 months for each participating equine.
- Registration papers must be presented at sign in to enter Registered Breed classes.
- Riders in Walk/Trot/Jog divisions may not enter canter classes and may not canter or lope on the show grounds for the entire day. Doing so will result in elimination without refund.
- The Show Committee reserves the right to add, split, combine or cancel classes.
- Judge’s decisions are FINAL. Discrepancies or questions must be directed to the Show Steward, not the Judge.
- All horses must be healthy and serviceably sound. Horses that are visibly lame, ill, or in physical distress will be excused.
- Unruly horses will be excused. Horses that kick must have a red ribbon on their tail. Stallions must wear a yellow ribbon on their tail. No Junior exhibitors or Beginners may show a stallion.
- Equitation placing will break ties for championships. In the Green Horse division, Showmanship placing will break a tie. In 4-H divisions, Fitting and Showmanship will break a tie.
- Appropriate tack and attire is required. Exhibitors will NOT be penalized for wearing protective headgear in lieu of traditional headgear. Helmets MUST be worn by ALL exhibitors who are 18 years old and under as of January 1, 2018.
- Western riders may wear chaps in all classes.
- Classes may be held for up to 2 minutes. Holds must be requested 2 classes in advance.
- No dogs or other non-equine animals are allowed on the grounds during the show.
- Patterns for any classes requiring them will be available at the Show Secretary’s booth.
- Stakes: 1= 50% 2= 25% 3= 10%
- Point standings will be announced when they are ready. No inquiries please.
- Points will be on the Open Horse Show Association points guidelines. Points will be based on the number of horses within the class and the placing of the horse within that class. Points per class will be determined on a sliding scale as outlined below:
|Number of Horses in Class||1st Place||2nd Place||3rd Place||4th Place||5th Place||6th Place|
Senior High Point
Awarded to the rider over 18 years of age who scores the highest cumulative point total in the WRC shows for the season. This prize is awarded at the club’s Year-End/Holiday Party.
Junior High Point
Awarded to the rider aged 12-18 years of age who scores the highest cumulative point total in the WRC shows for the season. This prize is awarded at the club’s Year-End/Holiday Party.
Youth High Point
Awarded to the rider 11 years of age or younger who scores the highest cumulative point total in the WRC shows for the season. This prize is awarded at the club’s Year-End/Holiday Party.
High Point Awards
The Westfield Riding Club will recognize the top eight riders who score the highest cumulative points overall in WRC shows for the season. Points will follow the rider, and riders are not required to compete in both shows. Prizes will be awarded at the club’s Year End Banquet. Riders need do not be Westfield Riding Club members to qualify for high point awards.
J. Massoni Memorial Sportsmanship Award
This award is presented in honor of Jeffrey and Jason Massoni, who both passed away unable to fight their addictions. Even though Jeff and Jason fought their own demons, they inspired the Massoni girls to be the best that they could be and supported them in all activities, instilling in them good sportsmanship. This award will be presented by Hannah and Brie-Anna Massoni. To be considered, the exhibitor must demonstrate outstanding sportsmanship/horsemanship throughout the day, both in and out of the saddle. A ribbon and prize will be awarded.